Hahneman Ki Aawaz posted on 16.08.2019
Ankylosing spondylitis is inflammation of the joints, usually affecting sacroiliac joints,spine and other large joints.
It is also called BECHTEREWS DISEASE & MARIE STRUMBELL DISEASE.
0.1 to 0.5% of adult population is affected by Ankylosing spondylitis.
Etiology – Exactly etiology is not known but following factors are responsible for it
· Increase HLA B27
Signs and Symptoms –
· Stifness from the neck down to the lower back
· Bony fusion
· Some inflammatory diseases such as inflammatory bowel disease, anterior uveitis & reiter’s syndrome are associated with this.
· Pain increase at night, early morning and when awakening from sleep
· May involve lungs & heart
· Eye inflammation (redness & pain)
· HLA B27
· X- ray
· CT Scan
Diagnosis criteria –
· Physical examination
· Measurements of the chest when breathing
· HLA B27
Differential diagnosis –
· Pseudo Gout
· Rheumatoid arthritis
Homeopathic remedies –
· Kali carbonicum. –
Oversensitive to touch on affected part, backache,stitching & darting pain, morning aggravation,marked debility.
· Rhus toxicodendron – Bathing in river or straining,pain between back & shoulder, restlessness,pain aggravate by sitting & lying, relived by walking continue, motion.
· Sulphur – Sensation as if vertebrae glided over each other,stiffness of neck, drawing pain between shoulder.
· Thuja occidentalis – Patient feels his limbs made of glass or wood & its break easily, useful in sycotic stage, aggravate at 3p.m. & 3a.m.
· Silicea -Spine is very weak, pain in coccyx,after injury spine irritation.